Sunday 27 October 2013

Little House Kids Purse

Little House Purse Inspiration

Fabric House Kids Mini Bag
I have seen some adorable designs for little fabric houses as hanging ornaments, doll houses and paintings.
As a child I adored little houses in pastel colours, but I am now favouring a bright color scheme approach.


This cute little painting by Regina Lord perfectly captured the style I was looking for.

Another amazing inspiration have been these quilted hanging ornament houses, I spotted on retro-mama



Little House Fabrics

To start my project I got red and aqua polka dot fabric from Fabrics-Fantastic who did a very fast delivery.



The little house is made using:

*2 rectangles for outer
*2 triangles for outer roof
*1 zip
*2 linings to be shape of house with roof each
*scraps for door and windows
*fusible interfacing and wadding or fusible fleece
*a strap if desired

I added a small slot pocket to the back. Adding some applique would look nice too.

Putting the Little House Purse Together


Start by decorating the main house, front and back panels. I attached my wadding so it would be held together in a few places with the stitching.

The door and the windows of the little house bag are made using scraps of fabric and decorated with embroidery stitches and ribbon.

I wanted no frayed edges so I did not use double sided iron on applique paper.
Instead I opted for sewing fusible interfacing with bumpy sticky side to the Right Side of the door fabric, cutting a small slit in the interfacing and turning right side out. That leaves a neatly finished shape, ready to iron on the main outer fabric.

After you finish than main house, stitch on the roof with wadding to front and back, creating the finished outer panels. If you are using a gingham on the roof, it may be nice to quilt the checks for extra texture.

Next comes the zip. I tried the zip both at the front and on the side, starting at the point of the roof and found the latter easier to make.

Make a sandwich with lining, zip and outer as you would for a zipper pouch, stitch flip over, press and top-stitch.

Stitch the 2 lining panels RS together, leaving a gap for turning.

Remember to add the strap and chimney if desired to the outer before stitching RS together all round.

Turn and sew lining closed.

Little House Purse front

Little House Purse back-handmadebyevarose



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...