Thursday 13 February 2014

How I Create and Sew My Designs


How I Create My Designs for handmadeby eva rose

A few weeks ago I had a table at a local craft market and a few people asked me how I “make” things. That got me thinking it may be a good subject to write about. So, today’s post is all about how I create and execute my designs.

I usually have lots of ideas and start by drawing  a rough sketch. Inspiration can strike at any time, so I carry a small notebook with me wherever I go.

I try to think of how people will use whatever I am designing, aiming to make it functional as well as aesthetically pleasing. The use guides me when I am choosing materials too.

The drawing are quite crude- I have even made them on the bus on the way to work and initially they are not to scale. They have arrows showing the direction of sewing and notes scribbled all over. Once I am happy with the result, I draw it again more clearly and to the correct size. I incorporate views from different angles and enlarged sketches of details. The next step is to make a cutting template from the drawing and cut all the shapes out of paper.

I then select the fabrics to make it happen, with a prototype. My favourite part! Machine and hand sewing combined to make the piece. I make my prototypes with the final fabric-I know some people will use plain cotton for the form- because I like to see the end result and also how the fabrics will hang together.

Sometimes there are more details to decide on which emerge during the sewing process, hanging loop options, how to hide seams... and how to put it all together. I make notes as I go along of any problems.

Once satisfied with the overall effect, I will make a clear coloured drawing to scale and cut out the template pieces in card or plastic sheet. I will also write instructions for assembly and measurements, including placement.  The design will be dated, named and placed in an individual pocket in my “Patterns” book for future reference.

This process is not always linear. I have often bought fabric and had an idea what to make, but not quite how. It is very exciting when the fabric "speaks" to me and even better when we get on during sewing and it just goes through the machine. Some fabrics and notions put up a small fight and can injure or even break the needle- You know who you are denim and zipper teeth!

I would love to hear how you go about designing and making your creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...